October 7, 2014: KDVR Fox 31 reported Daniel Powell has been fired from STRIVE Prep – SMART Academy in Denver, following a laboratory fire that injured 4 students.
Fox 31 writes:
They say the teacher just didn’t understand how dangerous this type of chemistry demonstration could be. There have been similar accidents at other schools, and the U.S. Chemical Safety Board says these kinds of experiments are too dangerous for schools like this one.
The board, which came to Denver one day later to look into the accident says the school’s chemistry teacher was trying to do a methanol demonstration, but the board says he seriously underestimated the danger of methanol.
It sparked a 15-foot wall of fire causing a school evacuation and sending four students to the hospital.
To read the complete article, utilize the source link below.